ad

Sunday 7 August 2016

Metuh Denies Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers




Olisa Metuh
Chief Olisa Metu


Chief Olisa Metuh, the former national publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has addressed allegations that he is the sponsor of the Niger Delta Avengers. The ex-PDP strongman whose health is not steady at the moment is also embroiled in the Dasukigate scandal, denied ever sponsoring the militants and asked those involving him in the allegations to leave him alone. Metuh made this clarification on Sunday, August 7, via a press statement obtained by Vanguard, where he also appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari’s government to get to the root of the matter and bring the culprits to book.


“My attention has been drawn to a false and misleading report circulating in a section of the media, heinously listing my name as one of the sympathizers of the Niger-Delta Avengers. “Ordinarily, I would not have responded to this given that I have since chosen to conduct my affairs with the decency and comportment of someone involved in a well-celebrated trial and with a severe spinal problem. “I am also not unaware of the series of false reports against my person in the past few months. However, on this occasion I have chosen to respond, as this particularly borders on matters affecting national security.

“For the avoidance of doubt, I hereby state categorically that I do not have any relationship or association whatsoever either as a sympathizer or sponsor of any militant group, including the Avengers,” the statement reads in part.

The statement further read: “I therefore find it very cruel that any person would in any manner whatsoever attempt to associate my name with anything to do with this group or its operations and I still wonder what the motive behind this sinister plot is. “While I restate my decision not to be drawn into any controversy at this time, it is pertinent that I reiterate that my only preoccupation now remains matters concerning my health and extant court trial as I continue to conduct my affairs with dignity and single-mindedness. “Finally, I call on the Federal Government and security agencies to immediately investigate and arrest Cynthia Whyte, who purportedly circulated the report and ensure that they get to the root of this matter. This is a security issue and nobody should be allowed to play politics with it.”

Speaking to NAIJ.com on Wednesday, July 27, Metuh’s special assistant Richard Ihediwa said his principal was not aware of any attempt by the Ali Modu-Sheriff led group to stop the forthcoming national convention.

“My principal is not even aware of any suit to stop the convention,” Ihediwa said. The Modu-Sheriff’s faction of the PDP will today, July 28, appear before Justice Okon Abang over an application for an interlocutory injunction to stop the party’s national convention on August 17.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment